Beach Maternity Photos Perth | Katie & Jiun
Every time I get an inquiry for maternity photos the first question is, “When should we do them?”
My best advice is to do them when you are 34 – 36 weeks pregnant, and as with any photographic session, it’s best to book early so you don’t miss out. There are 2 main reasons for doing your maternity photos at 36 weeks:
- After 36 weeks mums begin to feel like – well blah, It’s hard to move around, your feet swell and you can become exhausted very quickly – you are carrying a baby mum – woohoo you’re almost there.
- Your baby could make an unexpectedly early arrival – I have seen this happen numerous times. If mum had left her session just a week later – she would have missed out.
Maternity Photos are such a gorgeous and stylish way to show off your bump, here are some TIPS to help you look and feel your best in your maternity photo shoot.
Choose a great Photographer:
- Find a professional photographer with strong technical skills and experience. A professional maternity photographer will know how to light, pose and photograph you in angles that flatter your face and body.
- Choose a photographer whose style you love. There are so many out there. Studio, boho, bright and bold, light and airy, outdoor golden light.
- Research their portfolios – especially a blog with recent work so you can tell if the style and quality is consistent. An amateur photographer’s portfolio may show nice images, but those images may be a gallery of one or two good images from many sessions. The professional will show quality images consistently in both their portfolio AND recent work on their blog. If you hire an amateur to shoot your session, you run the risk that there may only be one or two good images from your session vs. the 20-30 great images that a professional will provide in your gallery. When you hire with quality in mind, you are assured the peace of mind that your special moment is captured perfectly in a style you love.
- While price is an important factor, it should not be the most important one. Like any quality products or services out there, good photographers are expensive. Why? Because it is not as easy as you think to create quality images. BUT poor photography is even more expensive. If you don’t like your photos, you have wasted your time and money. If there is a chance to do the maternity shoot again, you end up spending more money for the re-shoot or a better photographer. It’s often less expensive to get it right the first time.
Professional Hair & Make Up:
- I highly recommend getting your hair and make up done professionally if it’s in your budget. If not, make sure you make an effort as if going on a hot date, remembering it’s best to blend , blend blend. We don’t want orange lines on your chin. 🙂
What to Wear:
Please wear what you are comfortable with however, you may consider:
- Using one of the gowns your photographer offers, these are purchased especially so they flatter and show off your bump. They are usually stretchy and comfortable. Bonus – you don’t have to buy anything especially.
- Pretty Lingerie in peach or nude – to wear under the photographers gowns or on their own – or if you’re feeling brave, bring something sexy in your favourite colour.
- A strapless bra – lots of maternity gowns are strapless.
- Jeans and a camisole
- Black, white or grey t- shirt for your significant other
- Favourite accessories or flower crown
- Something sentimental like your 3d scan or little booties
- Comfy shoes for walking and a nice pair for wearing in your shots – unless we’re on the beach and it will be barefoot
Perth Maternity Photography by Channon Williamson Photography, Perth Western Australia
Perth Maternity Photographer | Mullaloo Beach